Thursday, January 27, 2011

Random Opinions on Motherhood (so far)

- Life with a newborn would not be such a difficult adjustment were I not so in-love with sleeping. Seriously. The adjustment would also be easier were I not such a pessimist. More to pray about ...

- I did not drink Dr Pepper through the entirety of my pregnancy. Eben was born on Christmas day and I have since consumed enough of the beverage to compensate for the lost time. So the circles under my eyes could be from the loss of sleep, the occasional emotional breakdown, or the Dr Pepper overdose. Though I admit it is entirely possible I am afflicted by all three.

- Parenting books and magazines do more harm than good. Normally I am all for educating and preparing oneself, but mostly the material just freaks me out and makes me think I'll be nothing but a failure at parenting. The phrase the most runs through my mind as I read is, "I'll never be able remember that or do this." Also, do I really care about what Kourtney Kardashian has to say about motherhood? No. Absolutely not.

- As much as I want Eben to grow up and be self-sufficient, something tells me I will miss these early baby days once they are gone. It's because I'm selfish and don't want to give up my time; I want to do the things I want to do. So what I'm looking for is a roommate. I need to let go of that and enjoy newborn Eben. OK, I admit it ... we've had some very sweet moments together, even during those late night hours WHEN HE WILL NOT GO TO SLEEP.

- Since Eben does not yet speak I maintain a dialogue on his behalf, guessing what I think this or that facial expression means. So I'm basically having a conversation with myself all day.